You are here
Core Leadership Program
Registration for Spring 2014 Core Leadership Program
is now CLOSED. Registration for Fall 2014 will begin next semester.
If you are interested in applying to be in the Fall 2014 class of the Core Leadership Program please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and contact information or stop by UMC 444. We will be sure to send you the application when it becomes available.
The CU GOLD (Gaining Opportunities through Leadership Development) Core Leadership Program is an introductory leadership development program that is open to all admitted and enrolled CU students. (We define enrolled as an admitted student who is taking at least one credit hour.) The CLP program consists of a leadership retreat, weekly seminars devoted to various leadership topics, and a community service project. Students participating in the program will be asked to develop and present a personal leadership mission statement, building on the concepts and experiences from throughout the semester. Students who complete all aspects of the program will be recognized for their achievements at the end of the semester.
CLP is foundationally based on the philosophies and models found in "Exploring Leadership For College Students Who Want to Make a Difference" by Komives, Lucas and McMahon (2007) Jossey-Bass.
- Students will gain greater self-awareness of their individual abilities and values as they relate to leadership.
- Students will improve their understanding of how diversity, multiculturalism, and social justice relate to their role as leaders.
- Students will develop a leadership vision for themselves that will inspire them to action.
- Students will challenge their assumptions of what it means to be a “good leader” in the traditional sense.
- Students will experience leadership through service and explore their relationship to both the campus and outside community.
- Students will understand the responsibilities of being a leader—both the rewarding andthe difficult responsibilities.
- Students will make connections with other student leaders on campus, as well as key administrators.
- Students will leave the program with a sense of urgency and motivation to continue their leadership development and make a difference on campus.
Requirements for Spring 2014 CLP Completion
- All participants are required to attend a two day leadership retreat the weekend of February 8th-9th.
- Attend the weekly leadership seminars on Tuesday, 3:30pm-5:00pm or Wednesday, 4:00-5:30pm.
- All CLP sessions are facilitated by Student Affairs staff.
- Participate in Community Service Project.
- Develop a personal leadership mission statement.
Participants Will Receive
- Recognition at the Spring Leadership Recognition Reception in Spring 2014
- Letter of Certification signed by Vice-Chancellor of Student Affairs
- Certificate of completion from CU GOLD
- CU GOLD Shirt
- Life-long leadership skills
*The Core Leadership Program and CU GOLD are made possible by generous donations from the CU Book Store and the CU Parent’s Association. CU GOLD is funded by CUSG.